Friday, July 1, 2016

Might I have a bit of earth?

Jodie Goodnough
Rhode Island
June 2016

Might I have a bit of earth?



The back patio at the Pottery





















When I was a child, The Secret Garden was my absolute favorite book. I've lived in cities most of my adult life, though, and haven't had an actual garden since I was a little kid. Plus, bugs tend to freak me out, mosquitoes LOVE me, and it turns out it's really hot in South Carolina in July! So I didn't realize when I applied to be a resident here at The Rensing Center how much this place would inspire me to tend to the earth around me. Despite the heat and the friendly mosquitoes, every day I find myself out behind the Pottery or on the Alder Creek trail, watering things, weeding, or clearing the path to the waterfall. It seems I've fallen for this little patch of earth.

Bob introducing himself
Last night I sat on the back patio of the Pottery and watched the thunderstorm come in, and recorded some sound. Yesterday during the day I made some cyanotypes in the midday sun and did a little drawing. The day before I wandered in the woods and photographed. I came here without much of a plan, and I'm trying to let myself explore and try new things without the pressure of making a whole new body of work. If I start to think too hard about where it's all going, I walk down to the library and hang out with Bob (the library cat). I've got three more weeks here, so maybe I can just wait and see what happens!

-Jodie

No comments:

Post a Comment