Monday, May 23, 2016

Greetings from the Guest House

Janelle Adsit
Berkeley, California
May 2016

Greetings from the Guest House

I'm in my final days of my three week writing residency at the Rensing Center. I am grateful for the dedicated time to work on two book projects, one of which I have had in mind for years. That manuscript has been transformed during my stay here in Pickens, SC.

The other manuscript had only a few sample pages to its name when I arrived here, and it now has a full arc. I have appreciated the time to immerse myself in what the two manuscripts have asked of me. The Rensing Center is a place of few distractions (aside from the cockroaches that come on the stage just after dusk), and one gains a different sense of time here. Being able to make all hours of the day about the work was a gift.

I enjoyed looking up from the pages too. A plant walk with John was especially nice. I enjoyed listening and learning about the flora on the property.  It was a delight to meet the goats too!

In case future residents might be using this blog the way I did when I was preparing for my visit to Rensing, I want to say a few words that may help with the packing and preparing process:
-A mosquito net is good to have if you are going to be staying in the Guest House; there is a hook already available above the bed for you to hang a net. It took me some time to evict all the moths and mosquitos, even with the place closed up in the evenings, so the net was a good solution. I also found it helpful to plug in an Ultrasonic Pest Repellent device to keep the roaches away.

-You might also want to consider bringing a bright flashlight. There is a flashlight available in the Guest House, but I would recommend bringing something a bit brighter, as you'll be walking on the Center grounds at night after a bonfire or Sunday 7pm dinner.

-The weather can get quite chilly at night, so I was glad to have sweaters available.

-I also packed several blank notebooks and journals as paper is not supplied (though I have left a couple of new notebooks in the bookcase for the next residents).

-I was also thankful to have saved a bunch of website clippings to Evernote in advance of my stay and to have downloaded a range of pdfs to my hard drive so I could have them without WiFi. The internet connection in the Guest House can be weak, depending on a range of factors, and it can be interruptive to walk down to the Library each time you need to look things up.

Best wishes, all.
-Janelle Adsit


No comments:

Post a Comment