Thursday, May 5, 2016

Preparing a Narrative Installation on Pulsars


Amelie Beaudroit 
Toulouse, France
March- May 2016

Preparing a Narrative Installation on Pulsars

I took a little break today and went on a walk down the trail at the Rensing Center. I have started my second residency here and I'm already halfway through it. I completed one painting yesterday and have started working on 2 new ones this morning that need to dry before I go back to them so I thought, it's the perfect time to enjoy a bit the wonderful surroundings and then write this post. 
When I sat there next to this waterfall and listened to the tinkling sound of water and the soft murmur of the leaves in the trees, I felt pretty lucky. My 5 weeks residencies have been partly financed by a fund and by private patrons who support me on this platform https://www.patreon.com/FromTheEdge?ty=h. I thought about these people, some I know, some are strangers who just appreciate my work and greatly encourage me. 
I am here working on a project for the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute, it is a small science museum based in NC (USA). The exhibition is a narrative installation I have been thinking about for awhile and finally the project was accepted, and then I started looking for fundings and then, now, the work is happening. 
The installation is made of a story I wrote at another residency called Wildacres not very far from here, it has 11 chapters and each chapter has part of the story, a painting, and some LED lighting. All the technical parts will happen back in Europe and I will hopefully be able to set up the work in September. During my stay at Rensing I am focusing on creating the paintings for the show. I can't do 11 paintings in 5 weeks for sure but I hope to complete 8 by the end of my busy time here. I am putting here a photo of the detail of the one I finished yesterday for the Discovery chapter. 

I am glad to be at the pottery where the floor is so easy to clean because it creates quiet a mess to do those things!
Being here, alone, with only my work to focus on has been really helpful. No interruptions, no social strain as compared to real life, peaceful time, no noisy neighbors, just the goats, and the cows munching on the grass, and the work. This one is probably the best one I have done so far for this show, I am starting to find this consistency I have been struggling to find between creating a work that is specific to this exhibition and its scientific / educational voice and the rest of my research which is mainly based on the study of the state of flow through landscape contemplation. 
I am very grateful to have been given this time, and I hope in the 10 days I have left, I can complete 2 other works that will be as good as this one. 

-Amelie Beaudroit 

1 comment:

  1. This article is very good. I like it.Interesting post. Thanks for posting this.Please share more information.
    Neutron Star Capture Theory by Rich Levinson

    ReplyDelete