Monday, July 5, 2021

Renew and Reset

Heather Deyling

Atlanta, Georgia
June-July 2021

Renew and Reset


I had been looking forward to a residency at the Rensing Center for many months (my residency was deferred due to COVID). The return to normalcy (at least in the US) was in sight in May as I wrapped up a challenging year of teaching art virtually. A change of pace and scenery was exactly what I needed.

 

When I arrived at Rensing, I immediately noticed the stillness and fresh air. Soon, I met Ellen, who was extremely welcoming. I wasn’t sure what to expect of the residency, but that evening’s potluck set the tone for the next three weeks. It was a lovely evening filled with friendly people, lively conversation and great food. That night I met fellow residents Hilary and Kayla, as well as Rensing associates Ashley, Jon, Will and Kiley. Within a few days, I met Evelyn, Ron, Benny and Wanrudee, another resident. Everyone was approachable, kind, interesting and curious.

 

Rensing provided so much more than change of pace and scenery. Here, I was able to slow down and find time and space to let my mind wander. I was productive but never felt that I had to be working. The opportunity to slow down, relax and reflect allowed me to work intuitively and indulge creative tangents without the self-critical voice in my head questioning every move I made. I found awe in the mountains, fireflies and stars and peace in the sounds of cicadas and waterfalls. The COVID fog lifted and the stress of the academic year dissipated quickly. 

 

Working in the studio was balanced by outings and activities. Highlights include dinners at Ellen’s place, Tuesday evenings at the Ale House for “Pickin’ in Pickens”, Wednesday mornings at the flea market, a fish fry and Juneteenth service at the Soapstone Baptist Church, a music festival at Hagood Mill, hiking, Art Share, an evening at Jon’s place and a trip to Greenville. I loved hearing Hilary play her banjo at the Ale House and at the music festival, listening to Kayla read an excerpt from her novel and seeing Wanrudee’s photos at Art Share. Eventually, another musician, David, joined us. It was a treat to hear him play keyboard at the Ale House.

 

The generosity of the people at Rensing is striking. Ellen is an incredibly gracious host and has built something very special here. She has talent for drawing wonderful people to her and subsequently the Rensing Center. Kiley and Will took us hiking. Jon shared his knowledge of native plants and gave a tour property and beautiful gardens. Ron shared many tasty dishes and Evelyn shared stories. I am thankful for them and my fellow residents, who shared their work and passion.

 

Leaving will be bittersweet. I will miss these people and this place. But I also leave with a renewed sense of purpose and beautiful memories. 






No comments:

Post a Comment