Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Ice, snow, and tiny objects

Ann Mansolino
Concord, California
February- March 2015

Ice, snow, and tiny objects

It's snowing outside. I didn't think when I decided to come to the South in the winter that I would encounter, well, real winter. But here it is. We've had both ice and snow in the last week. Fortunately for me, I like winter. I've been living places that don't get weather, exactly, and the snow that's falling softly through the trees at dusk now reminds me of how much I've missed changing seasons, missed the way they remind us that we're tied into a cycle of life that's much older and larger than we are. I believe this awareness matters, believes it helps me keep my own life in perspective. I think this is important as an artist, as well as someone who wants to understand more of what it means to be human in the world.

And winter is also just beautiful. Tiny icicles everywhere. I loved how fragile everything looked when encased in ice.  I took pictures of the Rensing Center and surrounding area following the ice storm, and will share a few images:




But I have to admit that the weather has also affected what I make here, and can make -- in good and unexpected ways. For the sake of being able to work where it's warm, I've been limited this past week to the space of the kitchen table. I've made small, delicate things as a result. Perhaps not as delicate as those icicles, but still: here's one example of a small book I made -- only 1 1/2 inches high -- using basswood, a coptic binding, milk paint, and a small plastic animal toy that I cut in half and painted. I love the way the book functions like an extension of the body, the way the animal seems to be passing through it.



I have piles of cut and folded book sections on the kitchen table ready to go, ready to be sewn and assembled. I'll make more small things in warm spaces, while thinking about my relationship to the big spaces of the world outside as the snow continues to fall throughout the night.  

-- Ann Mansolino
www.annmansolino.com

No comments:

Post a Comment