Sunday, June 22, 2014

To the Waterfall



I took the trail to the waterfall today in the early morning to avoid the heat. The wooden archway that marked the trail-head hid mysteriously in the dense forest. As I crept along deeper into the dark opening of overhanging limbs, breaking intricate cobwebs in my path, I felt like I was in a fairy tale – Gretel, Snow White or Little Red Riding Hood. A crow squawked up above. My feet sunk softly into the mud. I soon heard the sound of the creek running beside me. Small white markers named the plants – witch hazel, sassafras, winter-berry - a feast for a witch’s brew. Before long, I reached the falls rushing down boulders, a small roar, the scent of moss and wet soil. Just beyond, a sweet little deck invited me to sit for a spell. Perhaps there was a fairy tale in this after all. I pulled out my notebook and began to write: Once upon a time…

-Johanna DeBiase

No comments:

Post a Comment